Would-be thieves strike business for second time in month; no one shot in latest try

By: By Mike Gellatly - mgellatly@robesonian.com

LUMBERTON — For the second time in a three weeks, a longtime Lumberton business has been victimized by would-be thieves.

Page Talk Communication, which has been located on North Pine Street for more than 20 years, was targeted last month and an intruder was shot by owner G.H. Smith. Intruders were stopped Wednesday when Smith heard the glass in his front door shatter and called the police.

“Around 4:45 a.m., three people attempted to break into Page Talk, located at 2003 N. Pine St. in Lumberton. A witness then called the police. Officers arrived in the area and took three persons into custody,” Lumberton police Capt. Terry Parker said in a release.

Michael Shane Locklear, 20, of Roberts Avenue, and Jarod Lowery, 21, of Selena Drive, both of Lumberton, have each been charged with felony breaking and entering, conspiracy to commit felony breaking and entering and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to Parker. Bonds of $15,000 each were set for Locklear and Lowery, who are being held at the Robeson County Detention Center.

A third person is charged with felony breaking and entering and conspiracy to commit felony breaking and entering, Parker said. However no information about this person will be released because he is a under the age of 16.

On Tuesday, Parker said no charges have been filed against another juvenile who was shot inside the cell phone store during a break-in on July 6. Parker declined to give an update on the juvenile’s medical condition.

No charges have been filed against other alleged intruders in the July 6 incident. Parker said police and the District Attorney’s Office are in contact about the case.

Smith believes five people were involved in the July 6 break-in.

Smith spoke Wednesday of his frustrations about being the target of crime twice in such a short period of time.

Smith said after the first break-in he was planning to keep his store open 24 hours a day so there is always a member of staff on site.

Thieves used stone from a nearby gravestone retailer on July 6 to smash a window to get in. Glass display cases and cabinets inside the business were destroyed using stones. Store employees believe about 15 cell phones were stolen.

That break-in happened about 3 a.m. while Smith was working in the back of his store. At the time, Smith said a fleeting thought of his mother pushed him to shoot the intruder in the legs rather than discharging a possibly lethal shot to the chest or head.

No one shot during latest break-in

By Mike Gellatly


Reach Mike Gellatly at 910-816-1989 or via Twitter @MikeGellatly

Reach Mike Gellatly at 910-816-1989 or via Twitter @MikeGellatly