Gas leak in Maxton sparks evacuation

By: Staff report

MAXTON — A gas leak Saturday prompted the evacuation of residents around the 400 block of McCaskill Avenue.

“We had an individual doing yard work at the 400 block of McCaskill that hit a gas line,” Police Chief Tammy Deese said.

Residents in a one block radius were evacuated to the Maxton Police Department, Deese said. No injuries were reported.

“Piedmont Gas is on scene, and it should be resolved in one hour,” Deese said about 6:30 p.m.

The Robesonian will update this story as information warrants.

Staff report